Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Not Having Any Friends is Actually Pretty Cool According to Tumblr

Am I the only person whose utterly sick of every other person saying, "I don't have any friends, boohoo."?

A majority of these people really bother me because their claims are so empty that you're able to hear their own statements being echoed back at full speed. Sure, some of these speakers really have a vacant friend list, I get that. Quite frankly, I get that on a way too personal level.

Maybe it's just be, but I think it truly feels like teenagers are beginning to actually want to not have any friends. For some people, it's an easy task. For other's, their extroverted inner agenda's simply won't allow it. So in the end you'll end up with a large room full of these teenagers that claim "I don't have anybody." when two seconds later their phone blows up with 1,000 texts from their boyfriend/girlfriend, best friend, neighbor, and everybody else they know.

I get it, teenagers want to be cool, it's whatever. I myself feel this constant weight on my shoulders to be accepted by my peers as well, so don't feel like you're alone by any means.  I simply don't understand why this stigma of being alone in the world emerged in the first place. Isn't the objective of being liked, to have a large social group?

I think the trend began on tumblr, in all honestly. I used to be one of these people, a band member loving, other-people's tattoo/piercing/hair-dye obsessing, thinking-I-was-edgy, things. (Okay, I still love these things, but for god's sake I don't obsess over them anymore!) It seems like every blog I used to stumble upon or follow always had their descriptions plagued with something about how "alone" they were, and how they were infected by a string of mental illness, all self diagnosed using an online quiz, by the way.

Being alone constantly isn't at all cool. I'm a major introvert; I like being alone, don't get me wrong. But being alone constantly? I'll be the last one to admit that sometimes I get lonely truthfully. Being alone all the time is filled with longing feelings for contact, the dread of dying alone, you have nobody to trust or talk to, and most of all it can be extremely painful.

On the other-hand, there's people like me. We try to make friends, but struggle sufficiently.  No matter how hard I try it feels like everyone ignores me irregardless. I've tried everything, but I always scare people away from me. I'm sure I'm not alone on this, either.

If you're truly a loner, someone without friends, you'll understand when I say that I hate talking to people about being lonely.

"I don't have any friends, and it sort of sucks."
"Yes you do, you have tons of friends."
"Actually I don't."
"I'm sure you do! Stop being so pessimistic!"

OR

"If you're so lonely, why don't you make some friends?"
"I can't."
"What do you mean, you can't?
"I've tried, it isn't working."
"Try harder."

I don't understand why some feel the urge to make outrageous claims of being completely alone when in reality they have a slew of friends, and people that care about him.

I think my main point of this post is: if you actually have friends, please stop saying that you don't. Being friendless isn't cool, it's depressing. If you don't have friends, please know that you're not alone. There's others out there who feel just as lonely as you do, or maybe even more. Reach out, never stop trying.  

No comments:

Post a Comment